Hello, my name is Susannah Cecil. I'm a Licensed Professional Counselor at New Life Counseling Center, PLLC, a private group practice in Winston Salem, NC. We offer individual, group, couples and family counseling, and serve a wide variety of clients from diverse backgrounds. Our offices are conveniently located, have plenty of free parking and are fully handicapped accessible. The professional building has many different types of businesses so your confidentiality and anonymity is enhanced. Our office hours are 9-6 Monday through Fridays. Some evening hours are available by prior arrangement.
I began my counseling career in 1992 in community mental health, then in a private practice medical setting. In 2010, I pursued my love of mind-body work by teaching yoga. While growing through yoga, I began work on a therapy model blending restorative yoga and behavioral health principles to address the effects of chronic stress. This work eventually led me to Wake Forest Baptist Health’s Weight Management Center, and back into counseling, as their inaugural Behaviorist Program Coordinator.
My clinical experience includes work with individuals of varying ages (play therapy with children, adolescent/family work, adults), and group therapy opportunities. I have a great deal of experience with evidence-based treatments for mood disorders, anxiety, binge eating disorder, grief & loss. Over the years, I have refined my restorative yoga group therapy model to address chronic stress, anxiety/depression, emotional dysregulation, and body image concerns. My counseling approach is cognitive-behavioral in nature, using dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR), and compassion focused therapy (CFT). For clients with a stated preference, I offer faith-based counseling using these same treatment approaches from a Christian perspective.
Wake Forest University, Bachelor of Science, Health & Exercise Science; Minor, Religion, May 1990, Cum Laude.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Master of Education, Community Agency Counseling, May 1992.
- American Counseling Association, Professional Member
- Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor -- estimated date of completion February, 2019
- Licensed Professional Counselor: NCBLPC #2047
- National Certified Counselor: NBCC #27964.
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT-200): Yoga Alliance #155366.
- YogaFit Certified.
- Group Exercise Instructor, Pilates Instructor, Silver Sneakers MSROM, Silver Sneakers Yoga Stretch I, II; Livestrong Cancer Survivorship Exercise Trainer; YMCA.
- Winner, 2nd Place: Their Crazy. Flying South Literary Magazine, 2015.
- Finalist in Short Story Category. Press 53 Open Awards Anthology, 2012.
- Reader’s Favorite Short Story: Virgin Snow. Deep South Magazine, 2011.
- Chi Sigma Iota: Counseling Academic & Professional Honor Society International, 1992.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy: April 2016; March 2017; March 2018.
- Yoga & Mindfulness Therapy: Mind-Brain Change for Anxiety, Moods, Trauma, and Substance Abuse: September 2015.
- Spices as Natural Medicines: September 2015.
- 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training: Sunrise Yoga, Registered Yoga School, January-November 2014.
- Writing With Pat: 5-Day Intensive Writing workshop with internationally renowned Founder of Amherst Writers & Artists (Pat Schneider), June 2011.
- Yoga & Mindfulness: Clinical Interventions for Anxiety & Depression: January 2011.
- Healthy Aging: May 2009.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with Persons of Faith: October 2008.
- Mental Health Medications: Symptoms, Side Effects & Responses: February 2007.